What is a SLAPP suit?
It’s a lawsuit designed to intimidate, retaliate, threaten and silence criticism, it’s designed to render political opponents and members of the public to become burdened by the costly burden of a legal defense, exhausted by fighting the menacing litigation, until hopefully the Plaintiff bullies the Defendant into silence. SLAPP lawsuits are seldom won, and Plaintiff’s frequently do not expect to win these suits. Instead Plaintiffs, such as Stacy Parks Miller, leverage SLAPP law suits to silence their critics and immobilize them with fear and the burden of litigation. They file SLAPP suits in retaliation for public criticism under the false guise of “defamation.”
In many states, legislation prohibits and even punishes SLAPP lawsuits. They waste the time of the courts, frequently lack any legitimate claims, and are a dubious and archaic practice reminiscent of the McCarthy era or similar to the practices of North Korea.
SLAPP lawsuits are calculated to take away an individual’s freedom of speech. A government official who files a SLAPP law suit is in direct contradiction with American values, and is a dirty politician who seeks to silence her opposition so she can prevail politically. What is an American political process without robust criticism of a public official. American’s don’t fear speaking, or shouldn’t fear speaking, out against their government. That process in itself is inherently American, it’s our process, it’s embedded in our roots, it’s part of our culture, it IS our history, it is what makes America what it is. SLAPP lawsuits are an assault on our collective American identity, they are commenced by bullies, tyrants, lawbreakers and sleaze buckets.
Why did this bully file a SLAPP suit against the county?
- We discovered her texting during criminal trials, violating the 6th amendment rights of the accused in the criminal justice system. This was immensely embarrassing, because it had an obvious appearance of impropriety and was an ethical red flag. Judge Bradley Lunsford resigned due to the Court texting. To this day, we do not know how many cases were “fixed” by the District Attorney striking text message deals with the Judge because the District Attorney is too embarrassed and ashamed to release the damning records.
- We unearthed a potential litany of criminal activities by the DA. She was tampering with records, stealing money (theft of services).
- We found numerous and extensive violations of the DA in her statements to the media that broke the rules of professional conduct. She was discussing evidence in cases that was not yet ruled admissible publicly in the media. She was making statements designed to heighten the public condemnation of the accused prior to a trial. She was expressing her opinions of guilt or innocence on defendants she was prosecuting in the media, thereby tainting the jury pool.
- She was running the operations of her office like a thug, boldly engaging in closed door meetings in which criminal defendants were excluded – involuntarily – from the criminal proceedings and witness testimony that would decide their fates.
- She was catfishing Defendants (already represented by counsel), and witnesses to cases she was prosecuting while posing as a 20 year old Penn State Student. Imagine your parents were charged with a crime, and you were a 13 year old kid contacted by a 19 year old bikini clad Facebook friend who was actually the DA in disguise. She was fishing for information from you – an unwitting victim – so she could use it against you to harm your family by collecting evidence without the knowledge of a Defense attorney so she could throw you in jail.
- A look at the records show the number of people eligible for work release was declining, her penalties were too harsh and they were dependent not on the nature of the crime but on how “high profile” the case was, and who the attorney was. She was prosecuting without any regard for the individual accused in the case.
- She was lying in publicly filed pleadings and court room transcripts.
A group of lawyers and citizens slowly began to unravel the travails of the District Attorney, and they were horrified. Some politicians became whistleblowers, a private citizen and former employee came out with a witness statement to attest to the forgery. A criminal investigation by the Bellefonte police ensued. The District Attorney filed two desperate quo warranto actions to stop the investigation before turning the case over to the OAG office. Bruce Castor was running for District Attorney in Montgomery County at the time, had he won that election, perhaps he would have been the one prosecuting Kane. Perhaps they struck a deal, like the kind of deal Bruce Castor struck with Cosby’s lawyer: If you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.
The stuff Stacy Parks Miller was doing was not cute. It was corrupt and criminal, and completely in opposition to what she was presenting to the public. The DA’s office had left all of it’s dignity behind in the disgrace of this. Centre County elected a prosecutor that was all about winning and not about justice, or the people whose fate was in her hands. She was crooked, striking closed doors deals and fixing cases. She was making a spectacle of herself in court, and making a mockery of the criminal court proceedings. She was hell bent on winning at whatever costs, and had no regard to the actual guilt or innocence of the parties she was prosecuting. She was sunbathing her wins in the media, and enjoying all the attention on Facebook.
If you look at our beloved valley in the Post-Sandusky aftermath, you’ll find a valley that is profoundly image conscious, profoundly sensitive to sex crimes (particularly against children) and profoundly ashamed of Sandusky and profoundly dissident to accept that any further scandal could possibly transpire in this valley. We were reeling from Sandusky, and she saw each and every weakness and vulnerability and took our good faith and trust in her, and went on a personal joy ride.
Prosecutors have the power to change lives. They can look at each case on a case by case basis and ask themselves, given the facts, is rehabilitation possible? From there they can establish a plan. Jail. Jail. Jail. No work release. Jail. Jail. Jail. This is no plan for a community. Recidivism of offenders sky rocket with overly harsh sentences, too long periods in jail. Yet while she was being extremely and depravedly harsh on some Defendants, others were slipping through, sex crimes for instance. The cases that were the hardest to prosecute, with the least amount of evidence and the most gun shy victims.
Defiance and recalcitrance marks her, as she spent the last week on a personal vacation in Mexico. The court is backed up with cases as she is distracted with civil litigation meant to silence her foes, and put some money in her pocket. We have yet to see – with the exception of Mark Smith – any lawyer remain in her office for any extended period of time. This has nothing to do with the salary that the County pays ADA’s, this has to do with the leader of that office. Lawyers get uncomfortable with unethical activities. Stacy’s footprint is one of ruined relationships, broken trust and dishonesty.
As fast and hard as we are trying to rebuild Centre County, she is taking it down. She is a deeply emotionally sick woman, with deep rooted problems. She is not our elected leader, she is a tyrant and a threat to freedom of speech and the very integrity we place in our judicial system. She is a crook, a common garden variety criminal. She is someone we would normally pity, except that she has such profound and unchecked power to bully people and destroy lives. And she is destroying them, day by day, piece by piece, without apology, remorse and in wanton disregard of the rules of professional conduct and the laws.
Trials are public, court proceedings are public. I would encourage you to go and watch. What you see is an overly emotional, vitriolic, temper tantrum prone, unprofessional prosecutor with an ego the size of Texas. You see someone so cut up with plastic surgery procedures and pumped up in botox that it is difficult to move her face. You see a woman who frequently employs her sexuality – with much pride – in very inappropriate circumstances. You see a high heeled, over the hill, manic ranting lunatic, bent on winning and callously unaware of the grave responsibilities she has a prosecutor and the lives that she holds in her hands. You see a political animal, who intermittently cowers and viciously strikes, like a cornered rat.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. The fraternal order of the police, ever cognizant of the powers at be, have receded apprehensively with their support of her. The community, silenced by her threats, intimidation, cruelty, and SLAPP suit has been silenced. The media – god knows what is happening there – seems scared to death to report. The house of cards is crumbling. With all the darkness we watch unfold, we see more and more of this abusive conduct emerge daily as time passes and the records slowly become public. We elected Stacy Parks Miller for stability, for a certain liberal quality she displayed a democrat. She had a concerned mom look to her, prior to altering her appearance with all that outlandish plastic surgery.